Search This Blog

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Cookie Erosion

So I had some leftover cookies and I thought "What kind of experiment could I do with these?"
Sometimes, its the simplest activities that are the most fun!
 
First: I wanted to see my students background knowledge. I wrote the word "EROSION" on the board and asked "what does this word mean or make you think of?"
Answers: Starts with an e, so maybe earth.
Error
The sun
Then I explained what Erosion was by playing a short video from Discovery Education.
I wrote the word EROSION on the board again and asked "what does this word mean or make you think of?"
Answers: Water moving dirt.
Dirt breaking down into smaller pieces.
Rock being made into different types of rock.
 
Experiment time!
I showed my students a cookie and a cup of water.
I asked the essential question:
HOW MANY MINUTES WILL IT TAKE FOR A COOKIE TO ERODE IN WATER?
Students made their predictions as a team then shared for our chart paper. (1, 5, 7, 10)
We practiced our time skills by watching the clock. During each prediction time, teams wrote down observations about the cookie in the water onto sticky notes.
I can honestly say, I have never seen my kids more excited.
 
"MS ROSE COME HERE AND LOOK AT THIS!!!!"
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment